American Forest Management, Inc. is pleased to announce the exclusive offering of Jordan Mill Pond in Washington County, GA.Situated eight miles north east of Sandersville and 1.5 miles off the Fall Line Freeway, this 280+/- contiguous acres contains the original grist mill, beautiful hardwoods, upland pine, 50 plus acre water-shed lake and much more. The property is a great opportunity to own a unique piece of American history dating back the early 1800’s.
• Jordan Grist Mill Built in 1830’s
• 280+/- Contiguous Acres
• Wealth Preservation
• Secluded Private Retreat
• Beautiful Mature Upland and Bottomland Hardwoods
• Over 50+ Acre Water-Shed Stocked Lake
• Excellent Interior Road System
• Outdoor Recreation - Deer, Turkey, Hogs, Ducks, Fishing
• Excellent Family or Corporate Retreat
• Convenient to Sandersville, Augusta, and Savannah
History of Jordan Mill Pond:
Dating back to the early 1800’s, the mill was originally known as Hines Mill, having been owned by the father of Judge Jas K. Hines of the Supreme Court of Georgia. Judge Hines’ sister, Mrs. Jordan inherited the mill through distribution of the Hines property where it became known as Jordan Mill.
In 1857, Joseph Henry Hines moved from Burke County to Washington County to take over the management and operations of the mill. Under his guidance and stewardship the mill’s productivity grew. His attention to detail and acclaimed knowledge of how to grind quality meal brought fame to local mill site.
During the War Between the States, Mr. Hines acclaimed knowledge of how to grind the best meal brought fame to the local mill site. Through his guidance and stewardship, the developed a fine reputation for the excellence of the meal. The meal was a staple for the local community, farmers, merchants, as well as the soldiers. Touched by the appeals of the women and children that the mill might be spared, a gallant Union officer stationed a guard around the mill that it might escape the destruction which followed Sherman to sea.
In the early 1920’s, the Sandersville Progress reported through Mr. Geo T. Gilmore, the current owner of the original Jordan home, that the Jordan Grist Mill had been destroyed by fire. The mill was immediately rebuilt and operated until the mid 1950’s.